14 Listen to 7 “fundamental canons” describing engineers’ activity from the point of view of ethics and fill in the gaps with the synonyms for the words in brackets.
1. Engineers shall hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public and shall ______________ with the principles of sustainable development in the performance of their professional duties. (try to satisfy)
2. Engineers shall _____________ services only in areas of their competence. (fulfill)
3. Engineers shall _____________ public statements only in an objective and truthful manner. (distribute)
4. Engineers shall act in professional matters for each employer or client as ______________ agents or trustees, and shall avoid conflicts of interest. (conscientious)
5. Engineers shall build their professional reputation on the ______________ of their services and shall not compete unfairly with others. (quality)
6. Engineers shall act in such a manner as to ______________ the honor, integrity, and dignity of the engineering profession and shall act with zero-tolerance for bribery, fraud, and corruption. (maintain and improve)
7. Engineers shall continue their professional development throughout their careers, and shall ______________ opportunities for the professional development of those engineers under their supervision." (give)
PROFESSIONAL LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT
15 The sets of words and phrases below are related either to honesty or to dishonesty. Find the odd word in each line.
|1 trustworthy||law -abiding||crooked|
|2 a slush fund||a sweetener||compensation|
|3 insider trading||industrial espionage||disclosure|
|4 a whistleblower||a swindler||a conman|
|5 a bribe||a bonus||a commission|
Complete these sentences with words and phrases from activity 15. Choose from the first set to complete sentence 1, from the second set to complete sentence 2, and so on.
Match the verbs and nouns in the table below to make word partnerships. Sometimes there is more than one possibility.
Match the verb to the correct preposition.
|accuse charge prosecute sentence sue||somebody||for damages for selling dangerous goods of offering bribes to three years in prison with breaking guidelines|
A) Match the following prefixes to the verbs to describe some unethical business activities. The number of times that each prefix is used is given in brackets.
For example: misinform
|de - (1) dis - (1) mis - (5) over - (3) under - (1)|
|book, charge, credit, fraud, inform, lead, mine, price, represent, treat, use|
Дата добавления: 2015-10-31; просмотров: 408 | Нарушение авторских прав
|<== предыдущая страница|||||следующая страница ==>|
|Rank the professions below according to how ethical you think they are.|||||Role play this situation.|