Exercise 38.Put the verbs in brackets into the simple present or the present continuous tense.
1. What this one (cost)? – It (cost) forty pence.
2. You (hear) the wind? It (blow) very strongly tonight.
3. He never (listen) to what you say. He always (think) about something else.
4. You (understand) what the lecturer is saying? – No, I (not understand) him at all.
5. What you (have) for breakfast usually? – I usually (eat) a carrot and (drink) a glass of cold water.
6. When the curtain (rise) we (see) a group of workers. They (picket) a factory gate.
7. Why you (walk) so fast today? You usually (walk) quite slowly. – I (hurry) because I (meet) my mother at 4 o'clock and she (not like) to be kept waiting.
8. Look at that crowd. I (wonder) what they (wait) for.
9. She always (borrow) from me and she never (remember) to pay me back.
10. You (need) another blanket or you (feel) warm enough?
11.I (save) up because I (go) abroad in July.
12.I (think) it is a pity you don't take more exercise. You (get) fat.
13.The plane that you (look) at now just (take) off for Paris.
14.Tom never (do) any work in the garden; he always (work) on his car.
15.What he (do) to his car now? – I (think) he (polish) it.
16. This is our itinerary. We (leave) home on the 8th, (arrive) in Paris on the 9th, (spend) the day in Paris, and (set) out that night for Venice. — That (sound) most interesting. You must tell me all about it when you (get) back.
17. How you (end) a letter that (begin), 'Dear Sir'? – I always (put), 'Yours truly', but Tom (prefer) 'Yours faithfully'.
18. What the word 'catastrophe' (mean)? – It (mean) 'disaster'.
19. What you (wait) for? – I (wait) for the shop to open. – But it (not open) till 9.00. – I (know) but I (want) to be early, as their sale (start) today.
20. Why you (smoke) a cigar, Mrs Pitt? You (not smoke) cigars as a rule. – I (smoke) it because I (want) the ash. This book (say) that cigar ash mixed with oil (remove) heat stains from wood.
Exercise 39.Use the Present Indefinite or the Present Continuous to translate the following sentences into English:
1. Поспішай! Автобус прибуває. Я не хочу запізнитися на нього.
2. Ніл впадає в Середземне море.
3. Річка пливе сьогодні швидше– набагато швидше, ніж завжди.
4. В Індії коли-небудь іде сніг?
5. Зазвичай ми вирощуємо овочі у нашому садку, але цього року ми нічого не вирощуємо.
6. Ти вмієш водити машину? – Ні, Але я навчаєся. Мій батько навчає мене.
7. Зазвичай мені подобаться вечірки, але сьогодні не дуже.
8. Рон зараз у Лондоні. Він зупиняється у готелі «Хілтон». Він зазавичай зупиняється у готолі «Хілтон», коли він у Лондоні.
9. Ким працює твій батько? – Він вчитель, але він зараз не працює.
10. Енді будує новий власний будинок за містом.
Exercise 40.Read the following dialogue between a hotel owner and the receptionist. Put the verbs in brackets into the Present Simple or the Present Continuous.
A: Good morning, Catherine. A special guest 1) ___ (come) to our hotel today.
B: Really! 2) ___ (I/know) who it is?
A: I 3) ___ (think) you do. He 4) ___ (star) in the TV series, 'Rooftop', at the moment.
B: It 5) ___ (be) Paul Roberts, isn't it? When 6) ___ (he/come)? I can't wait to meet him in person!
A: At 3 o'clock this afternoon. But there are a few things you 7) ___ (need) to know. First of all, he 8) ___ (love) flowers. He also 9) ___ (enjoy) having his breakfast in the dining-room, not in his room.
B: Why 10) ___ (he/stay) at our hotel?
A: Because he 11) ___ (want) some peace and quiet and he 12) ___ (not/like) to be disturbed by reporters.
B: I see. Well, let's hope that everything will be okay while he 13) ___ (stay) here.
Exercise 41.Put the verbs into the Present Continuous or the Present Simple.
1 "Where's Sally?" "She ...is speaking... (speak) to Paul."
2 What time ___ (you/go) to school?
3 "Steve is in the bathroom." "___ (he/have) a shower?"
4 That villa ___ (belong) to a rich businessman.
5 She ___ (like) listening to music. She ___ (have) a lot of cassettes.
6 You can turn off the television. I ___ (not/watch) it.
7 I have a motorbike but I ___ (not/usually/ride) it to work.
8 ___ (you/want) to come to Julie's party with me?
9 Please be quiet. I ___ (try) to do my homework.
10 Drive carefully. It ___ (rain).
11 He ___ (need) to buy a new pair of shoes.
12 Sarah never ___ (forget) people's names.
Exercise 42.Correct the mistakes.
1 Steve goes fishing tomorrow.
2 Rebecca wash her hair every day.
3 I am visiting my grandparents every week.
4 Tim doesn't wants to do his homework.
5 He sits on the floor at the moment.
6 Do you watch TV in the evenings always?
7 Sarah is drinking coffee every morning.
8 They don't go usually on holiday in May.
9 Does she work late? No, she does never.
10 Peter looks for a new house at the moment.
Exercise 43.Use the present continuous where possible in the following sentences and put the remaining verbs into the be going to form.
1. I (play) bridge tonight with Tom and Ann.
2. He (have) an operation next week.
3. It's very cold. I (light) a fire.
4. We (have) some friends to lunch tomorrow.
5. I've bought a piano; it (be) delivered this afternoon. - Where you (put) it? – I (put) it in the dining room.
6. You (go) to the auction tomorrow? – Yes, I (go) but I (not buy) anything.
7. I've reminded you once; I (not do) it again.
8. I (have) my hair cut this afternoon.
9. My nephew (come) to stay with me next weekend. – Where you (put) him? – I (put) him in the room in the tower.
10. Our class (start) German next term.
11. I (spend) a few days in London next week.
12. The Town Council (build) a new school here.
13. What you (tell) the police? – I (tell) them the truth.
14. He (start) tomorrow.
15. The Queen (open) Parliament next month.
16. The Prime Minister (speak) on TV tonight.
17. This shop (close) down next week.
18. When you (have) your next lesson? - I (have) it on Monday.
19. I (collect) my new dress this afternoon.
20. We (take) the children to the seaside this summer.
The Present Perfect Tense
Bob and Mary have beenon holiday for a week. They've visiteda lot of tropical beaches and they've swumin the blue sea. Have they boughtany souvenirs yet? No, they haven't.
&We form the Present Perfect tense with the auxiliary verb have/has and the past participle. We form the past participle of regular verbs by adding -ed to the verb.
e.g. play - played
We form the past participle of irregular verbs differently.
e.g. see - seen
We form questions by putting have/ has before the subject.
e.g. Have they read the book?
We form negations by putting not between have/has and the past participle.
e.g. He has not/hasn't repaired the TV yet.
|S +||have has||V3/ed …|
She has written a new book.
I have rung her up today.
|S +||have has||not V3/ed …|
She has not finished her work.
They have not seen this film.
|Have Has||(not) S + V3/ed …?|
Has your friend been to London?
Have you written a letter to your friend?
Haven't you dusted the bookshelves?
Hasn't mother telephoned Dr Ray?
|?||have has||(not) S + V3/ed …?|
What have you eaten for breakfast?
Where have you bought this book?
Why haven't you explained the reason of your absence?
Why hasn't Jane accepted your invitation?
|Who What||has (not) V3 …?|
Who has mentioned my name?
Дата добавления: 2015-07-20; просмотров: 634 | Нарушение авторских прав
|<== предыдущая страница|||||следующая страница ==>|