1.The Police Service has a role to play in shaping the next generation of citizens.
2. In this country there is a large number of agencies or departments responsible for enforcing laws of one kind or another.
3. By helping to keep children safe, aware of their rights and responsibilities and by helping them to understand and respect the law, we contribute to their development as active citizens.
4. They are also responsible for ensuring that goods are not smuggled into this country.
5. The police were blamed for failing to clear up crime.
6. The Fieldings provoked much public discussion about having a force of armed men to catch criminals and bring them to trial.
7. They opposed the Fieldings’ ideas of maintaining law and order on the grounds that it would infringe civil liberties.
8. Scenes of Crimes Officers are expert in visiting the scenes of crimes and searching for clues.
9. It is worth remembering that the police regularly receive awards for outstanding bravery and service to the community – from tackling and arresting armed criminals, to carrying out difficult and dangerous undercover operations; from rescuing the victims of serious crime, to saving the lives of those threatening to commit suicide.
III. Translate the following attributive groups:
Law enforcers; a love-hate relationship; undercover operations; police force; police work; police interviews; Police Authority; Police Complaints Authority; Deputy Commissioners; deputy chief constable; an 18-week foundation course; policing skills; career structure; police specialities; child abuse; bank accounts; motor racing champion; customs duties; surveillance aid; crime prevention; community relation; Neighbourhood Watch Committees; schools involvement programmes; crowd control; laboratory examination; Drugs Squad; Murder Squad; Investigation Department; drugs scene; drugs smugglers and dealers.
IV. Explain the use of Perfect forms in the following sentences and translate them into Russian:
1. These rules and Codes of Practice have done much to remove the serious disquiet which resulted from a number of sensational cases, where it had been possible to prove later that confessions which defendants had made to crimes were, in fact, untrue.
2. At one end of the scale police officers will be trying to catch the major international drugs smugglers and dealers; at the other, they must handle the distressing cases of those who have become addicted to the most dangerous drugs and have turned to crime to pay for them.
3. The police have always had wide powers of arrest and search.
4. The headquarters of the Metropolitan force has for many years been at New Scotland Yard. This had been the site of a residence owned by the Kings of Scotland, and the courtyard became known as Scotland Yard.
5. He had been completely blind since an accident in his youth, and, following his brother, was for 26 years in charge of the tiny unofficial force of ‘policemen’ in London.
Дата добавления: 2015-07-08; просмотров: 243 | Нарушение авторских прав
|<== предыдущая страница|||||следующая страница ==>|
|VI. Match the words on the left (A) with their definitions on the right (B) and give their Russian equivalents.|||||V. Find the information in the Internet (photos, video, documents etc.) on the following themes and make presentations in class.|