Blog — (a blend of the term “web log”) is a type of website. Blogs are usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. “Blog” can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog. Most blogs are interactive, allowing visitors to leave comments and even message each other via widgets on the blogs and it is this interactivity that distinguishes them from other static websites. Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, Web pages, and other media related to its topic.
to land in sth — (informal) to get sb/yourself into a difficult situation.
to be in /get into hot water — (informal) to be in or get into trouble.
to let sth out — to give a cry, etc.
1 .What word has recently entered the US dictionary?
2. Why was the flight attendant fired?
3. Why did employers sue bloggers? Why did they fail to sue them?
4. Why do people write blogs?
5. Speak on topics that “Tom”, “David Copperfield” and “Waiter” discuss in their blogs.
6. Why did employers become interested in blogging?
1. In small groups, find out your partner’s point of view about:
– the future of blogging
– blogging about work
2 (A). Give a proper translation of the following English quotations:
1. “Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven’t planted.” David Bly
2. “To fulfill a dream, to be allowed to sweat over lonely labor, to be given a chance to create, is the meat and potatoes of life. The money is the gravy.” Bette Davis
3. “Do not sacrifice your life to work and ideals. The most important things in life are human relations. I found that out too late.” Katharine Susannah Prichard
4. “Executive ability is deciding quickly and getting somebody else to do the work.” John G. Pollard
5. “My experience has been that work is almost the best way to pull oneself out of the depths.” Eleanor Roosevelt
6. “Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt
7. “Criticism of others is futile and if you indulge in it often you should be warned that it can be fatal to your career.” Dale Carnegie
2 (В). Agree or Disagree?
Discuss the statements above in groups and say if you agree or disagree with them. Use the expressions from Appendix I.
Дата добавления: 2015-07-08; просмотров: 259 | Нарушение авторских прав
|<== предыдущая страница|||||следующая страница ==>|
|LOOMING PITFALLS OF WORK BLOGS|||||Vocabulary|