does, alcohol, traffic, quickly, the, for, attention, drinking, slower, poor
Alcohol is perhaps __ (1) most widely used drug in our society. Unlike food, alcohol__(2) not have to be digested. It affects a person very __ (3). It slows the brain and affects memory, self-control and .__(4). Body movements become __ (5) and muscle coordination is __ (6). The widespread use of __ (7) has caused special problems not only __ (8) people who use it, but for society as well. About half of all the people killed in __ (9) accidents each year die because someone was driving after __ (10) too much.
X. Read the text and answer the question:
Do You Need Three Meals a Day?
How many meals you have each day depends on your activity level and personal preference. Some people feel and work best on four or five small meals.
It is thought that eating a big breakfast, less lunch and a very small supper will aid digestion. In other words, you should breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper. This allows the digestive system to break down food during the active part of the day and give you a steady supply of nutrients. If you eat a heavy meal during the evening, it may not be digested properly and may cause indigestion.
XI. Read the text about useful advice when having meals at a restaurant.
1. Choosing a meal can be a problem sometimes because dishes are called unknown foreign names. Do not guess, ask the waiter to help you.
2. Do not let the number of knives, forks and spoons confuse you. It is simple — use them in the order in which they are laid.
3. When eating, take as much as you want, but eat as much as you take.
4. Do not eat too fast or too slowly, cut as you eat.
5. There is no rule about eating everything on your plate, to indicate that you have had enough place knife and fork together, not criss-cross.
6. Do not leave the spoon in your cup when drinking tea or coffee.
7. Do not empty your glass too quickly — it will be refilled.
8. Normally a meal in a restaurant takes time. Usually you tell the waiter what you want for the first two courses; he will take your order for dessert and coffee later.
9. When paying the bill, it is customary to tip waiters, however in most restaurants a service charge is nowadays added to avoid individual tipping. But if the waiter has been very helpful, some people like to give a small tip.
XII. Explain the meaning of proverbs and saying below.
1. Eat at pleasure, drink with measure.
2. It makes one's mouth water.
3. One man's meat is another man's poison.
4. Appetite comes with eating.
5. A hungry man is an angry man.
Дата добавления: 2015-07-08; просмотров: 691 | Нарушение авторских прав
|<== предыдущая страница|||||следующая страница ==>|
|Grammar|||||I. Read the Text A and translate it.|