The City Corporation exercises a control over the majority of the London markets, which dates from the close of' the 14 th century, when dealers were placed under the governance of the mayor and aldermen. The markets thus controlled are:
Central Markets, Smithfield, for meat, poultry, provisions, fruit, vegetables, flowers and fish. These extend over a great area, north of Newgate Street and east of Farringdon Road. Beneath them are extensive underground railway sidings. A market for horses and cattle existed here at least as early as the time of Henry II, 1133—1189.
Leadenhall Market, Leadenhall Street, City, for poultry and meat. The market was in existence before 1411, when it came into the possession of the City.
Billingsgate Market by the Thames immediately abovethe Custom house. Lower Thames Street, London Bridge for fish.Formerly a point of anchorage for small vessels, it was made afree market in 1699.
Smithfield Hay Market.
Metropolitan Cattle Market, Copenhagen Fields, Islington.
DeptfordCattle Market (foreign cattle).
Spitalfields Market (fruit, vegetables and flowers.
Shadwell Market (fish).
Shadwell and Columbia Markets also serve the East of London, and the Borough Market the South.
The Whitechapel Hay Market and Borough Market Southwark are under the control of trustees; and Woolwich Market is under the Council.
Дата добавления: 2015-07-10; просмотров: 84 | Нарушение авторских прав