The characteristics of management often vary according to national culture, which can determine how managers are trained, how they lead people and how they approach their jobs.
I. Now you will find five brief portraits of managers in five different countries: The USA, the UK, France, Germany and Sweden, decide which country each of these portraits correspond to.
1. Managers from this country:
· Consider professional and technical skills to be very important;
· Have a strong sense of authority;
· Respect the different positions in the hierarchy of their companies;
· Clearly define how jobs should be done;
· Are very loyal to their companies and expect their subordinates to obey them;
· Are often older than in other countries.
2. Managers from this country:
· Receive a general education;
· Delegate authority;
· Take a practical approach to management;
· Have relatively formal relationships at work;
· Encourage their employees to work individually;
· Believe it is important to continue education and training at work.
3. Managers from this country:
· Consider social qualities to be as important as education;
· Encourage their employees to take an interest in their work;
· Pay close attention to the quality of working life;
· Do not use as much authority as in other countries;
· Appreciate low-level decision-making;
· Are often women.
4. Managers from this country:
· Generally attend business schools;
· Communicate easily and informally at work;
· Admire the quantities of a leader;
· Expect everyone to work hard. Individual performance is measured and initiative is rewarded;
· Have competitive and sometimes aggressive attitudes towards work;
· Often accept innovation and change.
5. Managers from this country:
· Go through an elitist educational system;
· Have a strong sense of hierarchy and power;
· Often have impersonal relationships at work;
· Analyze problems in great detail before taking decisions;
· Consider speaking skills to be particularly important;
· More easily between state and private sectors.
Mark Powell, Ron Martinez, Rosi Jillett, New Business Matters, Coursebook
II. Choose a country, research its mentality and demonstrate the style of management used there in organizations in the form of Power Point presentation\organizational chart, etc.
Remember famous successful companies. Find out what management style is used there to succeed.
Дата добавления: 2015-07-08; просмотров: 385 | Нарушение авторских прав
|<== предыдущая страница|||||следующая страница ==>|
|IV. Problem-solving activity|||||Warm up|