Has he/ she been reading?
You have not (haven’t) been reading.
He/ She/ It has not (hasn’t) been reading.
· The Present Perfect Continuous используется, чтобы сделать ударение на длительности действия, которое началось в прошлом и длится до настоящего времени, особенно со следующими временными выражениями: for, since, all morning/day/ week, etc.
Sarah has been picking vegetables for two hours. (She started picking vegetables two hours ago and she is still picking them now.)
· The Present Perfect Continuous также используется для действия, которое началось и закончилось в прошлом, и длилось некоторое время. Результат действия очевиден в настоящем.
He is dirty. He has been playing football. (He is no longer playing football, but the fact that his clothes are dirty is visible now.)
Note: С глаголами feel (have a particular emotion), live, work, teach мы используем the present perfect и present perfect continuous, при этом значение остаётся неизменным.
e.g. He has felt/ has been feeling unwell all morning.
· The Present Perfect Continuous используется для выражения гнева, раздражения и возмущения. (anger, annoyance, irritation)
Who has been reading my business papers? (The speaker is irritated.)
The Present Perfect and Present Perfect Continuous используются со следующими временными выражениями (time expressios):
· how long
e.g. How long have you known Jack?
How long have you been learning English?
e.g. I have known Jack for five years.
I have not seen Emily fora long time.
She has been working here fortwenty years.
· since (starting point)
e.g. They have been married since last April.
We have been living here since 1980.
I have not talked to Ann since last Sunday.
· lately/ recently
e.g. Haveyou seenany good films lately/ recently?
She has been going out a lot lately/ recently.
already используется в середине или в конце утвердительных и вопросительных предложений.
Have you already finished? Have you finished already?
yet используется в отрицательных предложениях после краткой формы вспомагательного глагола (a contracted auxiliary verb) или в конце предложения.
She hasn’t yetcalled me. She hasn’t called me yet.
stillиспользуется в утверждениях и вопросах после вспомагательного глагола или перед главным глаголом. В отрицаниях он ставится перед вспомагательным глаголом.
I am still reading the newspaper. He still works for the same company. She still hasn’t signed the contract.
1. Fill in for or since.
1. I have lived in this village since I was born.
2. It has been raining __________ hours. I wish it would stop.
3. My father has been the manager of this firm __________ ten years.
4. _________ I moved to York, I have been much happier.
5. Have you been waiting ___________ a long time?
6. I have been waiting for you _________ four o’clock.
7. She hasn’t bought a new coat _________ yhree years.
8. Karen has been on the phone _________ ages!
9. I have known Neil __________ 1994.
10. Jane has been my best friend _________ many years.
2. Fill in yet and already.
Mum: Haven’t you done your homework 1) __________?
Jane: Nearly! I’ve 2) ____________ finished maths and English.
Mum: Have you studied history 3) ___________?
Jane: The test is next week. I have plenty of time.
Mum: You have 4) ___________ failed two history tests. I suggest you start studying right now.
Jane: But mum, I have 5) _____________ arranged to go out with my friends.
Mum: They haven’t come 6) ___________. Call them and tell them you can’t join them tonight.
3. Put each verb in brackets into either Present Perfect or Present Perfect Continuous.
1. Susan ___________________ (not/ return) from her skiing holiday yet.
2. We ___________________ (just/ move) in.
3. I ____________________ (not/ see) Thomas since 1995.
4. Sue __________________ (clean) for the past three hours.
5. Cindy ________________ (never/ be) to the United States.
6. She __________________ (revise) for the exams since Monday.
7. How long _____________________ (you/ work) here?
8. He ___________________ (make) ten phone calls since this morning.
9. _______________________ (you/ever/lie) to your best friend?
10. He _____________________ (lie) on the couch since he got home from work.
4.Read the sentences below and match them with the explanations given (a-c).
1. Sarah has gone to Brazil.
2. Mary has been to Brazil.
3. Lucy has been in Brazil for a month.
a) She has visited Brazil, but now she is home.
b) She hasn’t come back yet.
c) She is staying there.
Fill in the gaps with gone to, been to, been in.
1. I have __________________ Paris three times.
2. Magie is not home. She has ________________ the library.
3. David works in Brazil. He has ___________________ South America since 1990.
4. They are not at home. They have ___________________ the zoo.
5. My sister has __________________ Joe’s house. She’ll be back soon.
6. I have never ___________________ Japan.
7. Anna’s mother has ___________________ Canada for three years now.
5. Using the Present Perfect or the Present Perfect Continuous of the verbs in brackets, complete the sentences, as in the example.
1. Ralph is getting frustrated because the meal he ordered hasn’t been served yet. (wait)
He has been waiting for his meal.
2. The estate agent is taking down the “For Sale” sign in front of the house. (sell)
He _______________________ the house.
3. Jerry is travelling to Moscow on Tuesday. (book)
He ___________________ a plane ticket.
4. Samantha is reading a letter from Maureen. (receive)
She ___________________ from her.
5. John started fixing the washing machine this morning. (repair)
He ___________________ it since 9 a.m.
6. Rachel is getting out of bed. (just/ wake up)
7. Lisa started working for us in1992. (work)
She _______________________ for us since 1992.
8. Elaine is still waiting for yhe bus. (come/ yet)
6. Fill in gaps with recently, how long, yet, for, always, ever, already, since, so far or just.
1. A: Has Tom finished his exams yet?
B: No. He finishes next Thursday.
2. A: _____________ has Janet been working at the hospital?
B: She has been working there ________________ she left school.
3. A: How are you finding your new job?
B: Great! I haven’t had any problems _______________.
4. A: Is John at home, please?
B: No, I’m afraid he’s ______________ gone out.
5. A: Have you been waiting long?
B: Yes, I’ve been here ___________ two hours.
6. A: Has Martin _____________ been to Spain?
B: No, I don’t think so.
7. A: Have you spoken to Mathew _________ ?
B: Yes. I phoned him last night.
8. A: Can you do the washing-up for me, please?
B: Don’t worry. Mike has __________ done it.
9. A: Lucy has __________ been musical, hasn’t she?
B: Yes, she started playing the piano when she was five years old.
10. A: Shall we go to that new restaurant tonight?
B: Yes. I have _____________ been there. It’s really nice.
11. A: Your dog’s been barking ____________ three hours!
B: I’m sorry. I’ll take him inside.
12. A: Have you finished reading that book yet?
B: No, I’ve __________ started it.
7. Put the verbs in brackets into the present perfect or continuous, using short forms where appropriate.
1. A: How long have you known (you/ know) Alison?
B: We ____________ (be) friends since we were children.
2. A: Who _____________________ (use) the car?
B: I was. Is there a problem?
3. A: What are Andrew and David doing?
B: They _____________________ (work) in the garden for three hours.
4. A: Why is Sally upset?
B: She _____________________ (lose) her bag.
5. A: I ______________________ (always/ believe) that exercise is good for you.
B: Of course, it’s good to keep fit.
6. A: Emily _____________________ (teach) maths since she left university.
B: Yes, and she’s a very good teacher, too.
7. A: Fred ____________________ (open) a new shop.
B: Really? Where is it?
8. A: This pie is delicious.
B: Is it? I ____________________ (not/ taste) it yet.
9. A: Have you found your umbrella yet?
B: No, I _____________________ (look) for it for an hour now.
10. A: You look exhausted.
B: Well, I _____________________ (clean) the windows since 8 o’clock this morning.
11. A: Can I have some more lemonade, please?
B: Sorry, your brother ____________________ (just/ drink) it all.
12. A: Have you got new neighbours?
B: Yes, they ________________ (just/ move) to the area.
8. Put the verbs in brackets into the present perfect or present perfect continuous.
I hope you are enjoying yourself at university. I’m sure you 1) ‘ve been studying (study) hard. Everything is fine here at home. Billy 2) ___________________ (just/ receive) his school report. It was bad, as usual. He 3) ______________________ (decide) to leave school next year and find a job. Fiona 4) ____________________ (go) to the gym every day for the past two weeks. She 5) _____________________ (try) to get in shape for the summer. She 6)_____ ______________________ (already/ plan) her holiday in the sun. Your father 7)_______ ___________________ (sell) the old car and he 8) ____________________ (buy) a new one. It’s lovely – much nicer than the old one.
Anyway, write soon.
9. Complete the questions and answers with the present perfect or present perfect continuous and for or since.
1. A: How long have they been playing together? (they/ play together)
B: They’ve been playing together since 1985.
2. A: How long ______________________________ ? (it/ rain)
B: It _____________________________________ yesterday morning.
3. A: How long ______________________________? (you/ have that jacket)
B: Let me think. I ___________________________ ten years.
4. A: How long _______________________________? (he/ work here)
B: He _____________________________ he left school.
5. A: How long _____________________________? (they/ be married)
B: They ______________________________ 60 years.
6. A: How long __________________________? (you/ learn Russian)
B: I _______________________ three years.
10. Complete this interview with the present perfect questions (using the verbs in brackets) or with for or since.
Interviewer: How long 1)_______________________ (you/ be) intersted in becoming a vet?
Mandy: A long time, 2) ________________ primary school , I think.
I: And 3)______________________ (you/ work) with animals before?
M: Yes, I 4) ___________________ (have) a part-time job at the local vet’s surgery 5)________ three years. I started it as soon as I was 14. And 6) _________ then I 7)_______ ________________(take) two courses on animal welfare. They involved working in a rescue home for animals 8) ___________ two weeks.
I: That’s great. You’re obviously really keen to become a vet.
11. For each situation , write two sentences using the words in brackets.
1. Tom started reading a book two hours ago. He is still reading it and now he is on page 53.
(read/ for two hours) He has been reading for two hours.
(read/ 53 pages so far) He has read 53 pages so far.
2. Rachel is from Australia. She is travelling round Europe at the moment. She began her trip three months ago.
(travel/ for three months) She _____________________________________________________
(visit/ six countries so far) ________________________________________________________
3. Patrick is a tennis player. He began playing tennis when he was ten years old. This year he is national champion again – for the fourth time.
(win/ the national championships/ four times)_________________________________________
(play/ tennis since he was ten)_____________________________________________________
4. When they left college, Lisa and Sue started making films together. They still make films.
(make/ five films since they left college) They_______________________________________
(make/ films since they left college)________________________________________________
12. For each situation, ask a question using the words in brackets.
1. You have a friend who is learning Arabic. You ask:
(how long/ learn/ Arabic?) How long have you been learning Arabic?
2. You have just arrived to meet a friend. She is waiting for you. You ask:
(wait/ long?) Have ____________________________________________?
3. You see somebody fishing by the river. You ask:
(catch/ any fish?)______________________________________________?
4. Some friends of yours are having a party next week. You ask:
(how many people/ invite?)______________________________________?
5. A friend of yours is a teacher. You ask:
(how long/ teach?)_____________________________________________?
6. You meet somebody who is a writer. You ask:
(how many books/ write?)_______________________________________?
(how long/ write/ books?)________________________________________?
7. A friend of yours is saving money to go on holiday. You ask:
(how long/ save?)______________________________________________?
(how much money/ save?)_______________________________________?
13. Put the verb into the more suitable form, present perfect or present perfect continuous.
1. Where have you been? Have you been playing (you/ play) tennis?
2. Look! _______________________________ (somebody/ break) that window.
3. You look tired. _________________________ (you/ work) hard?
4. “_____________________________ (you/ever/ work) in a factory?” “No, never.”
5. “Liz is away on holiday.” “Is she? Where _____________________(she/ go)?”
6. My brother is an actor. _____________________________(he/ appear) in several films.
7. “Sorry I’m late.” “That’s all right. _________________________(I/not/ wait) long.”
8. “Is it still raining?” “No, _______________________(it/ stop).”
9. ________________ (I/lose) my address book. _________________________(you/see) it?
10. _________________(I/read) the book you lent me, but __________________(I/not/ finish) it yet. It’s very interesting.
11. ________________________ (I/read) the book you lent me, so you can have it back now.
14. Read the situations and write sentences. Use the following verbs:
arrive, break, fall, go up, grow, improve, lose
1. Tom is looking for his key. He can’t find it. He has lost his key.
2. Margaret can’t walk and her leg is in plaster. She ____________________________________
3. Last week the bus fare was 80 pence. Now it is 90. The bus fare ________________________
4. Maria’s English wasn’t very good. Now it is better. Her English ________________________
5. Dan didn’t have a beard before. Now he has a beard. He ______________________________
6. This morning I was expecting a letter. Now I have it. The letter ________________________
7. The temperature was 20 degrees. Now it is only 12. The ______________________________
15. Read the situations and write sentences with just, already or yet.
1. After lunch you go to see a friend at her house. She says, “Would you like something to eat?”
You say: No thank you. I’ve just had lunch. (have/ lunch)
2. Joe goes out. Five minutes later, the phone rings and the caller says, “Can I speak to Joe?”
You say: I’m afraid _____________________________________________ . (go/ out)
3. You are eating in a restaurant. The waiter thinks you have finished and starts to take your plate away. You say: Wait a minute! ____________________________________ . (not/ finish)
4. You are going to a restaurant tonight. You phone to reserve a table. Later your friend says, “Shall I phone to reserve a table?” You say: No, _______________________________. (do/it)
5. You know that a friend of yours is looking for a place to live. Perhaps she has been successful. Ask her. You say: __________________________________________________? (find)
6. You are still thinking about where to go for your holiday. A friend asks, “Where are you going for your holiday?” You say: __________________________________________. (not/ decide)
7. Linda went to the bank, but a few minutes ago she returned. Somebody asks, “Is Linda still at the bank?” You say: No, _____________________________________________. (come back)
16. You are asking people questions about things they have done. Make questions with ever using the words in brackets.
1. (ride/ horse?) Have you ever ridden a horse?
2. (be/ California?) Have __________________________________________________
3. (run/ marathon?) _______________________________________________________
4. (speak/ famous person?) _________________________________________________
5. (most beautiful place/ visit?) What’s _______________________________________
17. Complete the sentences using today/ this year/ this term etc.
1. I saw Tom yesterday, but I haven’t seen him today.
2. I read a newspaper yesterday, but I _______________________________ today.
3. Last year the company made a profit, but this year ________________________.
4. Tracy worked hard at school last term, but ______________________________.
5. It snowed a lot last winter, but ________________________________________.
6. Our football team won a lot of games last season, but we _________________.
18. Complete B’s answers. Some sentences are positive and some negative. Use the following verbs: be, be, eat, happen, have, meet, play, read, see, see, try
1. A: What’s Mark’s sister like?
B: I’ve no idea. I’ve never met her.
2. A: How is Diane these days?
B: I don’t know. I ______________________________ her recently.
3. A: Are you hungry?
B: Yes. I _____________________________________ much today.
4. A: Can you play chess?
B: Yes, but ___________________________________ for ages.
5. A: Are you enjoying your holiday?
B: Yes, it’s the best holiday _________________________ for a long time.
6. A: What’s that book like?
B: I don’t know. ____________________________________ it.
7. A: Is Brussels an interesting place?
B: I’ve no idea. _____________________________________ there.
8. A: Mike was late for work again today.
B: Again? He __________________________________ late every day this week?
9. A: Do you like caviar?
B: I don’t know. ______________________________________ it.
10. A: I hear your car broke down again yesterday.
B: Yes, it’s the second time ___________________________ this week.
11. A: Who’s that woman by the door?
B: I don’t know. ____________________________ her before.
19. Read the situations and write sentences as shown in the example.
1. Jack is driving a car, but he’s very nervous and not sure what to do.
You ask: Have you driven a car before?
He says: No, this is the first time I’ve driven a car.
2. Ben is playing tennis. He’s not good at it and he doesn’t know the rules.
You ask: Have ________________________________________________________________
He says: No, this is the first ______________________________________________________
3. Sue is riding a horse. She doesn’t look very confident or comfortable.
You ask: _____________________________________________________________________
She says: _____________________________________________________________________
4. Maria is in London. She has just arrived and it’s very new for her.
You ask: _____________________________________________________________________
She says: _____________________________________________________________________
20. Write a question for each situation.
1. You meet Paul as he is leaving the swimming pool.
You ask: (you/ swim?) Have you been swimming?
2. You have just arrived to meet a friend who is waiting for you.
You ask: (you / wait/ long?)___________________________________________________
3. You meet a friend in the street. His face and hands are very dirty.
You ask: (what/ you/ do?) ____________________________________________________
4. A friend of yours is now working in a shop. You want to know how long.
You ask: (how long/ you/ work/ there?) _________________________________________
5. A friend tells you about his job – he sells computers. You want to know how long.
You ask: (how long/ you/ sell/ computers?)_______________________________________
21. Read the situations and complete the sentences.
1. It’s raining. The rain started two hours ago.
It’s been raining for two hours.
2. We are waiting for the bus. We started waiting 20 minutes ago.
We ___________________________________________ for 20 minutes.
3. I’m learning Spanish. I started classes in December.
I _____________________________________________ since December.
4. Mary is working in London. She started working there on 18 January.
______________________________________________ since 18 January.
5. Our friends always spend their holidays in Italy. They started going there years ago.
______________________________________________ for years.
22. Are the underlined verbs right or wrong? Correct them where necessary.
1. Bob is a friend of mine. I know him very well. OK
2. Bob is a friend of mine. I know him for a long time. I’ve known him.
3. Sue and Alan are married since July. ____________________________________________
4. The weather is awful. It’s raining again. _________________________________________
5. The weather is awful. It’s raining all day. ________________________________________
6. I like your house. How long are you living there? __________________________________
7. Gary is working in a shop for the last few months.__________________________________
8. I don’t know Tim well. We’ve only met a few times.________________________________
9. I gave up drinking coffee. I don’t drink it for a year. ________________________________
10. That’s a very old bike. How long do you have it? __________________________________
23. Write B’s sentences using the words in brackets.
1. A: Do you often go on holiday?
B: (no/ five years) No, I haven’t had a holiday for five years.
2. A: Do you often see Sarah?
B: (no/ about a month) No, ____________________________________________________
3. A: Do you often go to the cinema?
B: (no/ a long time)__________________________________________________________
4. A: Do you often eat in restaurants?
B: (no/ ages) No, I ___________________________________________________________
24. Read the situations and write questions from the words in brackets.
1. John tells you that his mother is in hospital. You ask him:
(how long/ be/ in hospital?) How long has your mother been in hospital?
2. You meet a woman who tells you that she teaches English. You ask her:
(how long/ teach/ English?) ________________________________________________
3. You know that Jane is a good friend of Caroline’s. You ask Jane:
(how long/ know/ Caroline?) _______________________________________________
4. Your friend’s brother went to Australia some time ago and he’s still there. You ask your friend:
(how long/ be/ in Australia?) _______________________________________________
5. Tim always wears the same jacket. It’s avery old jacket. You ask him:
(how long/ have/ that jacket?) ______________________________________________
6. You are talking to a friend about Joe. Joe now works at the airport. You ask your friend:
(how long/ work/ at the airport?) ____________________________________________
7. A friend of yours is learning to drive. You ask him:
(how long/ learn/ to drive?)_________________________________________________
8. You meet somebody on a plane. She says that she lives in Chicago. You ask her:
(always/ live/ in Chicago?)__________________________________________________
25. Complete B’s answers to A’s questions.
1. A: Bill is in hospital, isn’t he?
B: Yes, he has been in hospital since Monday.
2. A: Do you see Ann very often?
B: No, I haven’t seen her for three months.
3. A: Is Margaret married?
B: Yes, she ________________________ married for ten years.
4. A: Are you waiting for me?
B: Yes, I __________________________ for the last half hour.
5. A: You know Linda, don’t you?
B: Yes, we _________________________ each other a long time.
6. A: Do you still play tennis?
B: No, I ___________________________ tennis for years.
7. A: Is Jim watching TV?
B: Yes, he_________________________ TV all evening.
8. A: Do you watch TV a lot?
B: No, I _________________________ TV for ages.
9. A: Have you got a headache?
B: Yes, I _________________________ a headache all morning.
10. A: George is never ill, is he?
B: No, he _______________________ ill since I’ve known him.
11. A: Are you feeling ill?
B: Yes, I ________________________ ill all day.
12. A: Sue lives in London, doesn’t she?
B: Yes, she ______________________ in London for the last few years.
13. A: Do you go to the cinema a lot?
B: No, I ________________________ to the cinema for ages.
14. A: Would you like to go to New York one day?
B: Yes, I _______________________ to go to New York. ( use always/ want)
26. Translate the sentences into English.
1. “Как давно ты знаком с Молли?” – “О, мы знакомы с ней целую вечность!”
2. “Где Сандра?” – “На кухне. Она всё ещё готовит ужин. Она ещё не закончила готовить главное блюдо. Ты что с голоду умираешь?”
3. “Ты когда-нибудь пробовал дорогое итальянское шампанское Asti с красной икрой?” - “Нет, этим летом я как раз собираюсь лететь в Неаполь.”
4. ”Линда всё ещё в банке?” – “ Нет, она только что вернулась.”
5. “Ты часто ездишь отдыхать?” – “Нет, я не отдыхал уже 5 лет.”
6. Какая ужасная погода! Дождь льёт целый день. Похоже, он никогда не прекратится!
7. У моих дедушки и бабушки сегодня годовщина свадьбы. Они женаты 50 лет. Это невероятно! У них четверо детей, семеро внуков и даже три правнука!
8. “О, нет! Я снова потеряла паспорт!” – “Ты его теряешь уже пятый раз. Ты все время что-нибудь теряешь. И не спрашивай меня: “Ты не видел случайно мой паспорт, милый?”
9. “Тебе нравится Париж?” – “О, это самый прекрасный город, который я когда-либо посетил. И почему я не приезжал сюда раньше?”
10.”Где ты был? Играл в теннис? Сколько сетов ты выиграл?”
11. Лиз читает эту книгу два часа. На данный момент она прочитала 51 страницу.
12. “Ты когда-нибудь был в Калифорнии?’ – “Всегда мечтал там побывать.”
13. Я очень был занят последнее время, поэтому не писал тебе. Какие последние новости?
14. “Ты не очень хорошо водишь машину. Ты раньше водил?” – “Если честно, нет. Я сегодня первый раз за рулём. Пристегни ремень! Поехали!”
27. Underline the correct tense.
1. Liz and I are good friends. We know/ have known each other for four years.
2. Sarah is very tired. She has been working/ is working hard all day.
3. “Where is John?” “He’s upstairs. He does/ is doing his homework.”
4. I can’t go to the party on Saturday. I am leaving/ have been leaving for Spain on Friday night.
5. Jane has finished/ is finishing cleaning her room, and now she is going out with her friends.
6. I didn’t recognise Tom. He looks/ is looking so different in a suit.
7. I don’t need to wash my car. Jim washes/ has washed it for me already.
8. Ian has been talking/ is talking to his boss for an hour now.
9. Claire’s train arrives/ has arrived at 3 o’clock. I must go and meet her at the station.
10. “Would you like to borrow this book?” “No, thanks. I have read/ have been reading it before.”
11. “Where are you going/ do you go?” “To the cinema. Would you like to come with me?”
12. Have you seen my bag? I am searching/ have been searching for it all morning.
13. “Is Colin here?” “I don’t know. I haven’t seen/ haven’t been seeing him all day.”
14. Sophie is very clever. She is speaking/ speaks seven different languages.
15. We are moving/ have moved house tomorrow. Everything is packed.
28. Put the verbs in brackets into correct tense.
1. A: What are you doing (you/ do)?
B: Nothing. I _____________________ (just/ finish) my lunch.
2. A: Where ______________________ (you/ be) all morning?
B: I __________________ (clean) my house since 8 o’clock.
3. A: ____________________ (you/ do) anything next weekend?
B: No, I _____________________ (not/ make) any plans yet.
4. A: Jane looks great. _________________ (she/ lose) weight?
B: Yes, she __________________ (exercise) a lot recently.
5. A: _________________ (be/ you) busy right now?
B: Yes, I ___________________ (just/ start) typing this report.
6. A: Where is Peter?
B: He ___________________ (wash) the car at the moment.
7. A: Who _________________ (be) your favourite actor?
B: I _______________ (like) Sean Connery since I was a child.
8. A: _________________ (you/ do) your homework yet?
B: Almost, I _________________ (do) it now.
29. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense.
1. Who has been using (use) my toothbrush?
2. “What ______________________(you do)?” – “I ___________________(write) a letter.”
3. Samantha ___________________ (play) tennis with friends every weekend.
4. Tim and Matilda ___________________(be) married since 1991.
5. Uncle Bill _______________________(just/ decorate) the bathroom.
6.Pauline and Tom ____________________(sing) in the school choir twice a week.
7. Who _______________________(you /speak) to?
8. Sarah is very happy. She ____________________(win) a poetry competition.
9. He _____________________(drink) two cups of coffee this morning.
10. My friend _____________________(live) in America at the moment.
11. They___________________(usually/change) jobs every five years.
12. I _____________________(normally/cut) my hair myself.
13. Linda _______________________(study) in the library for three hours.
14. We _________________________(play) in a concert next weekend.
15. Who ____________________(read) my diary?
16. Tim ________________________(leave) the house at 7 o’clock every morning.
17. ________________________(your mother/work) in a bank?
18. ________________________(you/drink) coffee with your breakfast every day?
19. We _____________________(make) plans for our summer holidays right now.
20. They ______________________(move) house in September.
30. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense.
This is just a short note to tell you I 1) ‘m arriving/arrive (arrive) at the airport at 5 pm on Saturday, 10th December. I 2)_________________(be) very busy recently, and that’s why I
3) ____________________(not/write) to you for a while. I 4)__________________(plan) this trip for months, so now I 5) _____________________(look forward) to spending some time with you and your family. I 6) ____________________(hope) you will be able to meet me at the airport. Please give my love to your wife and the children.
See you soon,
31. Correct the mistakes.
1. They have been to the shops. They’ll be home soon.
2. Joe plays in the garden at the moment.
3. I am going to work by car every day.
4. The builders finish the block of flats already.
5. He has been breaking his arm.
6. Sam have just finished reading a very interesting book.
7. Water is boiling at 100 degrees Celsius.
8. John is living here since 1986.
9. I study this subject for five years.
10. Who has use my scissors?
32. Put the verb into the correct form, present perfect or past simple.
1. It stopped raining for a while, but now it’s raining again. (stop)
2. The town is very different now. It has changed a lot. (change)
3. I did German at school, but I __________________ most of it now. (forget)
4. The police _________________ three people, but later they let them go. (arrest)
5. What do you think of my English? Do you think it _________________? (improve)
6. “Are you still reading the paper?”- “No, I ___________________ with it. You can have it.” (finish)
7. I ____________________ for a job as a tourist guide, but I wasn’t successful. (apply)
8. Where’s my bike? It ____________________ outside the house, but it’s not there now. (be)
9. Look! There’s an ambulance over there. There ____________________ an accident. (be)
10. A: Have you heard about Ben? He ______________________ his arm. (break)
B: Really? How____________ that ____________________? (happen)
A: He ______________________ off the ladder. (fall)
33. Are the underlined parts of these sentences right or wrong? Correct them where necessary.
1. Do you know about Sue? She’s given up her job. OK
2. My mother has grown up in Scotland. Grew
3. How many plays has Shakespeare written? _______________________________________
4. Ow! I’ve cut my finger. It’s bleeding. ___________________________________________
5. Drugs have become a big problem everywhere._____________________________________
6. The Chinese have invented paper.________________________________________________
7. Where have you been born?_____________________________________________________
8. Mary isn’t at home. She’s gone shopping.__________________________________________
9. Albert Einstein has been the scientist who has develop the theory of relativity._____________
10. I’ve lost my key. I can’t find it anywhere. ________________________________________
11. Have you eaten a lot of sweets when you were a child? ______________________________
12. I’ve bought a new car. You must come and see it.___________________________________
13. I’ve bought a new car last week._________________________________________________
14. Where have you been yesterday evening?_________________________________________
15. Lucy has left school in 1991.___________________________________________________
16. I’m looking for Mike. Have you seen him?________________________________________
17. “Have you been to Paris?” – “Yes, many times.”____________________________________
18. I’m very hungry. I haven’t eaten much today.______________________________________
19. When has this book been published?_____________________________________________
34. Make sentences from the words in brackets. Use the present perfect or past simple.
1. (it/ not/rain/this week) It hasn’t rained this week.
2. (the weather/be/cold/recently) The weather_________________________________________
3. (it/cold/last week) It___________________________________________________________
4. (I/not/read/a newspaper yesterday) I______________________________________________
5. (I/not/read/a newspaper today)__________________________________________________
6. (Emily/earn/a lot of money/this year)_____________________________________________
7. (She/not/earn/ so much/last year)________________________________________________
8. (you/have/a holiday recently?)__________________________________________________
35. Put the verbs into the correct form, present perfect or past simple.
1. I don’t know where Lisa is. Have you seen (you/see) her?
2. When I ________________________(get) home last night, I ________________(be) very tired and I ____________________(go) straight to bed.
3. A: ______________________(you/finish) painting the bedroom?
B: Not yet. I’ll finish it tomorrow.
4. George _______________(not/be) very well last week.
5. Mr Clark _____________________(work) in a bank for 15 years. Then he gave it up.
6. Molly lives in Dublin. She___________________(live) there all her life.
7. A: _________________________(you/go) to the cinema last night?
B: Yes, but it __________________(be) a mistake. The film _____________(be) awful.
8. My grandfather ___________________(die) before I was born. I _____________(never/meet) him.
9. I don’t know Carol’s husband. I ____________________(never/meet) him.
10. A: Is Martin here? B: No, he _________________________(go) out.
A: When exactly ___________________(he/go) out? B: About ten minutes ago.
11. A: Where do you live? B: In Boston.
A: How long_____________________ (you/ live) there? B: Five years.
A: Where _____________________(you/live) before that? B: In Chicago.
A: And how long _________________________(you/live) in Chicago? B: Two years.
36. Write sentences about yourself using the ideas in brackets.
1. (something you haven’t done today) I haven’t eaten any fruit today.
2. (something you haven’t done today)______________________________________________
3. (something you didn’t do yesterday)______________________________________________
4. (something you did yesterday evening)____________________________________________
5. (something you haven’t done recently)____________________________________________
6. (something you’ve done a lot recently)____________________________________________
Дата добавления: 2015-07-20; просмотров: 734 | Нарушение авторских прав
|<== предыдущая страница|||||следующая страница ==>|
|Have you left/ arrived? Yes, I have./ No, I haven’t.|||||Use 6: Irritation or Anger|