Describe the people below using adjectives.
1. Dustin Hoffman can take on almost any kind of role – comic, tragic, bizarre, characters, everything.
2. My daughter believes absolutely everything you tell her. But she is only five.
3. My grandfather can’t read or write. He worked on the family farm from the age of seven.
4. In my family we say that my brother has two left hands. He breaks everything.
5. My wife only wears designer clothes, and they look perfect on her.
6. My mother is a thinker, always discussing issues and reading.
7. My brother-in-law makes beautiful furniture. It’s great to watch him working.
8. My aunt spends her life reading horoscopes, she carries lucky charms around with her, and she never, ever walks under a ladder!
9. My father is an old-style communist, but he seems to get on with everybody, whatever their politics.
10. My niece is a bit strange. She goes around wearing all black clothes and purple lipstick. She listens to old heavy metal bands.
11. My sister-in-law has had lots of trouble in her life, but she survives – and nobody pushes her around.
12. With my uncle, «what you see is what you get». He never says anything unless he means it, and he really cares about people.
13. My eldest son is always creating something. He’s full of energy.
14. My cousin Vinnie always suspects everyone’s motives.
15. My grandmother has terribly strong views on things, and not many people dare to contradict her.
Find the Russian equivalents for the following proverbs and use the latter in a proper context.
1. A good name is better than riches.
2. A little body often harbours a great soul.
3. A word is enough to the wise.
4. All that glitters is not gold.
5. Handsome is as handsome does.
6. He that is full of himself is very empty.
7. You cannot judge a tree by its bark.
Translate the following quotations and comment upon them.
Ø The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs Charles de Gaulle
Ø I sincerely wish ingratitude was not so natural to the human heart as it is. Alexander Hamilton
Ø You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time. Abraham Lincoln
Ø Human nature is rarely uniform. Waller Scott
Write a short description of two people different in appearance. Touch upon their face, general appearance, clothes.
Write an essay on one of the following topics:
1. My self-portrait.
2. What kind of people do you get on with best?
3. Looking through a family album.
Listen to the text «Russian Character».
Choose the right answers.
1. The text is about
a) superstitions in Russia.
b) differences in character between Russians and Westerners.
c) Russian character.
2. What is considered unfriendly in Russia?
a) When guests are fed and well looked after.
b) When guests are offered only tea and coffee.
c) When guests are offered a lot of food.
3. Why is a person welcomed like a long lost friend in Russia?
a) Because a person lives in another country.
b) Because a person was lost some years ago.
c) Because Russian people respect their friends.
4. Where do Russian people entertain traditionally?
a) in a restaurant
b) at home
c) at their friends' house
5. Where do Russians like to chat about money, inflation, and the political situation?
a) in a kitchen
b) in a bath
c) in a bed
6. What do Russians consider the British to be?
a) too polite
b) too rude
c) too curious
7. What do Russians consider Westerners to be?
Complete these sentences.
a) Russian people are generally … and….
b) Guests to a Russian home are always made the centre of ….
c) When going to a Russian family's home for dinner, a … spread will be laid on.
d) Russians like to… about life.
e) Russians like to speak about money, … , and the political situation.
f) Russians are more … than Westerners.
g) They also consider most Westerners to be ….
Do the comprehension test. Agree (+) or disagree (—) with the following statements.
a) Guests to a Russian home are fed and well looked after.
b) The western habit of offering only tea and coffee is considered friendly.
c) Russians consider the British too rude.
d) Foreigners can find that relationships with Russian friends can be very intense.
e) According to the superstition if you whistle indoors, your money will fly out.
f) It is considered lucky if a black cat crosses your path.
g) It is considered unlucky if you drop and break something into pieces.
h) According to the superstition if you have to return into the house after leaving it, you should look in the mirror.
Answer the questions.
Do you have any superstitions?
What are they?
1. about your first meeting with someone who later became your close friend. What were some of the things you noticed about him or her when you first saw him or her?
2. your first letter to your imaginary English pen-friend. Give him or her a good idea of your appearance, personality and interests.
3. about one of the books you have read, explaining which of the characters you admired or liked and which of the characters you found less/least attractive.
Дата добавления: 2015-11-26; просмотров: 195 | Нарушение авторских прав