1. As is known that young people who are in their last year at school are planning the next stage in their education. The variety of courses at universities and colleges is extensive but many young people don't have any clear idea about the career they wish to follow. Those who are primarily motivated by wealth tend to choose law, business administration, economics or accountancy. Those who are interested in fame may choose the arts, the stage, or the media.
2. Except perhaps in the countries with successful manufacturing industries such as Germany and Japan, where engineering is in high honor, this career is not often recommended with any enthusiasm by school teachers, politicians, TV, newspapers or teenage magazines. Due to that influence young people tend to be pop singers, TV actors and sports stars.
3. It is no wonder, therefore, that many engineering degree courses find it difficult to attract students. Courses in mineral resource engineering - mining geology, rock mechanics, mining, quarrying, mineral processing, and petroleum engineering have special difficulties in recruitment.
4. There is one more barrier to recruitment into the mining industry: after graduating from the institute a graduate with the engineering degree cannot work as a manager or an engineer, but he has to be a simple worker for many years. After graduation and the award of a degree, there is a strong wish to abandon the subject matter of the course and enter a career, offering more reward: commerce, banking, accountancy or stock broking.
5. It should be noted that there is a need in mineral engineering courses which could provide a wide and general tuition, covering not only mineral extraction and processing methods but also economics, business administration, computer studies, communication skills and basic civil and mechanical engineering, which are vital for career development to senior ranks.
II. Знайдіть відповіді на запитання.
1. Do young people always have a clear idea about the carrier thy wish to follow?
2. In what countries is engineering in high honor?
3. Why do engineering degree courses find it difficult to attract students?
4. Why do courses in mineral resource engineering have special difficulties in recruitment?
5. What mineral engineering courses would be useful?
III. Вкажіть номери речень які відповідають змісту текста.
1. After graduation and the award of a degree, there is a strong wish to abandon the subject matter of the course.
2. After graduating from the institute a graduate with the engineering degree cannot work as a manager or an engineer.
3. When the students study surveying they have practical work in the field.
4. All young people tend to be pop singers, TV actors and sports stars.
5. The students can get mining education at special colleges and at mining departments of universities.
Дата добавления: 2015-07-08; просмотров: 150 | Нарушение авторских прав
|<== предыдущая страница|||||следующая страница ==>|
|I. Прочитайте та усно перекладіть текст.|||||III. Вкажіть номери речень які відповідають змісту текста.|