1. Coffee ……… in Brazil.
2. Daewoo cars ……… in Korea.
3. Sony computers …….. in Japan.
4. Tea ……… in India.
5. Roquefort cheese ……… in France.
6. Romeo and Juliet ……… by W. Shakespeare.
7. Yesterday ……… by Paul McCartney.
8. Gunpowder …….. by the Chinese.
9. The Mona Lisa ……… by Leonardo da Vinci.
10. The Eiffel Tower ……… by Gustav Eiffel.
11. Penicillin ……… by Fleming.
12. Presidents ……… by people.
7.5.Open the brackets using the correct tense form of the Passive voice.
Model: This text (to write) …is being written…in pencil now.
1. The question (to discuss) ……… everywhere.
2. The doctor (to send for) ……… tomorrow.
3. Ten thousand railway carriages (to make) ……… by works every year.
4. Much new material (to collect) ……… every month.
5. This girl (to speak about) ……… much.
6. No echo (to hear) ……… in a minute.
7. All the details (to know) …. to the scientists when the expedition is over.
8. A new island (to find) ……… not long ago.
9. This novel ( to write) ……… by Somerset Maugham.
10. The contract (to type) ……… now.
11. The conference (to hold) ……… tomorrow.
12. Don’t enter the room! A student (to examine) ………. there.
13. This bridge (to build) ……… in 1986.
14. All the students (to examine) ……… by five o’clock.
7.6.Say it in English.
1. В теннис играют во многих странах. 2. Мне только что предложили интересную работу. 3. Нас встретили на вокзале. 4. Подписано ли это письмо? 5. Студентам университета преподают иностранные языки. 6. Им показали лаборатории и библиотеку университета.
7. Меня пригласили на конференцию. 8. Дом покрасили в прошлом году. 9. Библиотеку обычно закрывают в 7 часов. 10. Эта книга переведена на английский язык. 11. Статья только что напечатана. 12. Об этой книге много говорят. 13. Я уверен, что его будут слушать с большим интересом. 14. Исследовательская работа ведётся в университете.
7.7.Rewrite the sentences using the passive and by.
1. John designs these computer systems.
2. Hamish scored the first goal.
3. The President will meet the visiting Head of State tomorrow.
4. The Romans conquered Britain in 54 AD.
5. Charles Dickens wrote “Oliver Twist”.
6. Simon Rattle is conducting the concert tomorrow.
7. A new trainer is helping the football star.
8. A broken rail has caused a train accident.
7.8. Choose the correct form of the verb, active or passive.
A) 1. The original Olympic Games held / were held in Greece thousands of years ago.
2. Athens, the capital of Greece, also held / was held the first modern Olympics in 1896.
3. Many extraordinary new stadiums will build / will be built in the 21st century.
4. Football clubs will build / will be built many of these stadiums.
5. No one can do / can be done anything to improve some of the old stadiums.
6. Nothing can do / can be done to improve some of the old stadiums.
7. Several countries are developing / are being developed exciting new plans.
8. Exciting projects are developing / are being developed by other countries.
9 .The summer Olympics have organised / have been organised by three US cities.
10. ST Louis, Los Angeles and Atlanta have organised / have been organisedthe summer Games.
B) 11. The car owns / is owned by the son of the head teacher, and he drives / is driven it very fast.
12. The Albert Hall built / was built in the late nineteenth century and restored / was restored in the early twenty-first century.
13. The film made / was made in Morocco, but the story took / was taken place in Greece.
14. He didn’t like the book that he gave / was given so he took / was taken it back to the shop.
15. I sent / was sent the letter on 3rd May, but it didn’t deliver / wasn’t delivered until 5th September.
16. I attended / was attended the interview on Friday and told / was told I was successful on Monday.
17. Thousands of people have crossed / have been crossed the London Millennium Bridge since it built / was built in 2002.
18. I left / was left my case for a few minutes and it stole / was stolen.
19. The thief didn’t see / wasn’t seen by anyone at the party when he took / was taken the jewels.
20. The train goes / is gone very slowly, but you see / are seen many interesting places.
7.9.Make sentences so that the underlined word is the subject of the sentence. Think carefully: the sentence may be active or passive. Choose the correct tense.
1. John / take / the photographs / on his last holiday
2. Jill / show / her paintings / at the exhibition / next month
3. my mother / write / that book / when she was young
4. England / win / the Rugby World Cup / in 2003
5. Ford / build / the first cheap, popular car
6. they / plant / a lot of trees / in their garden / last summer
7. the auctioneer / sell / the painting / for $5 million
8. my son / break / the window / this morning
7.10.Write sentences so that the word underlined is the focus. The sentences may be active or passive. Be careful to choose the right tense.
1. Shakespeare / write / “Macbeth”
2. Maths / teach / Mr Bryant / last year
3. the house / paint / the woman / next week
4. the plates / break / the boy / this morning
5. over $1m / steal / from the bank / this morning
6. the manager / sack / the lazy worker / tomorrow
7. Hugh / read / the news / tomorrow morning
8. fire / destroy / the train
9. those paintings / do / Van Gogh
10. the team / cheer / the captain / after the match yesterday
UNIT 8 NOUN PLURALS. COUNTABLE /
Дата добавления: 2015-07-10; просмотров: 283 | Нарушение авторских прав
|<== предыдущая страница|||||следующая страница ==>|
|Ask questions about what these people are going to be. Use these words: musician / actor / secretary / businesswoman / doctor / journalist|||||UNIT 9 COMPARISONS|