D. Missing teenager H. Teenager’s room
1. For many young people aerosol art is just as serious as wall painting was for their prehistoric ancestors. Graffiti is very personal to the teenager who produces it. The motivation behind a piece of graffiti can be happiness or sadness, frustration or relief. For some artists graffiti is a reaction to what happens in their lives. For this reason it is an art form that is very close to the hearts of the young.
2. I am allowed to do what I like with it. I don’t have a lot of space, but it is my favourite place, so I spend a lot of time there. I am the youngest in the family so I also have a lot of old toys on the shelves. I sometimes get bored with the way it is and when I do I change it round. I often move the bed and change the posters on the walls. I’ve asked my parents for a television but I don’t think I’d get one.
3. I have been playing video games since I was ten. I am now fifteen and I can’t get rid of my habit. These days I play for about twenty-five hours a week. Playing video games stops me from exercising and playing basketball and I have no time for friends. Many of the games are very violent but I don’t take them seriously. They are just fun. I think the main problem with games is that they are too much fun.
4. First impressions are vital. For many employers, neat and tidy hair and smart clothes are as important as qualifications. What factors contribute to that vital first impression? It varies a lot according to our culture. For example, in the United States tall people are considered more reliable and serious in business. In many cultures physically attractive people are thought of as warmer, kinder, more sociable and even more intelligent.
5. Dean Palmer is fourteen years old. He may also use the names Dick Page or Daryl Preston. He has short fair hair and is of medium height and slim build. He wears glasses. He was last seen wearing jeans, a brown leather jacket and black trainers. If he is at your school, or has ever been admitted into the school, please telephone the police immediately.
6. I’m known as Chase. That’s my tag. When I started I would go out at night with a few friends and just painted football slogans and things like that on any wall I could find. I suppose it was a way of making a statement. Eventually I got caught. I still continue to express my feelings with the help of aerosol painting, but these days I get permission first.
7. These people just want to get attention. Some people call them artists but many citizens really don’t think that a scribble on the wall is art. In fact, graffiti is a serious social problem as it causes great damage. It ruins the appearance of towns and cities and cleaning it up costs a lot of money.
IIПрочитайте текст и заполните пропуски 1-6 частями предложений A-G. Одна из частей в списке A-F лишняя.
In the summer of 1969, John Wesley Power set out with eight companions and three boats 1. Powell and his men planned to travel hundreds of miles through unknown parts of the western United States. Powell was a naturalist, explorer, and former army officer. Although his right arm had been amputated above the elbow 2 , he never turned away from danger. In August, after travelling through many canyons, the group reached the Grand Canyon. It often rained in torrents and cloudbursts. At midday the sun poured down 3. More than half the party was without hats and not one of them had an entire suit of clothes. They sat up all night on the rocks, shivering, and were more exhausted by the night’s discomfort than by the day’s heat and toil. They guarded their precious flour supply 4 , keeping it always in watertight compartments and dividing it equally among the three boats - so that if one of the boats cracked up only a third of it would be lost. Mile after mile, day after day, the vast gorge of the Colorado twisted on through the earth, 5 . They had seen a few ancient ruins, but no sign that any living Indians ever came down to the river. Suddenly, with their flour almost gone, they saw a sight 6 . On the bank they found a garden planted with com and squash.
A. as if it would fiy them down
B. as if its waters would roar for eternity
C. they made about twenty miles a day
D. on one of the greatest adventures of all time
E. they could scarcely believe
F. as if it had been sacks of gold
G. as a result of a war injury
IIIПрочитайте приведенный ниже текст. Преобразуйте слова, напечатанные заглавными буквами после номеров 1-7 так, чтобы они грамматически соответствовали содержанию текста. Заполните пропуски полученными словами.
Дата добавления: 2015-07-11; просмотров: 773 | Нарушение авторских прав
|<== предыдущая страница|||||следующая страница ==>|
|Cable Cars|||||A Strange Will|