|1) to make, design or think of a new type of thing||a) commit (a crime)|
|2) without delay||b) century|
|3) to say that you are annoyed, not satisfied or unhappy about sth or sb||c) search engine|
|4) a fact or thing that someone finds out about, when it was not known about before||d) invent|
|5) to do sth wrong or illegal||e) guilty|
|6) a medicine or medical treatment that makes an illness go away||f) contain|
|7) a computer program that helps you find information on the Internet||g) miracle|
|8) correct and true in every detail||h) award|
|9) waste paper, cans etc that people have thrown away and left on the ground in a public place||i) immediately|
|10) something very lucky or good that happens which you did not think was possible||j) popularity|
|11) having done sth that is a crime||k) accurate|
|12) to think about sth that you would like to happen or have||l) discovery|
|13) to have sth inside or as part of sth||m) give sb a lift|
|14) a prize or money given to someone for sth they have done||n) dream (of)|
|15) a period of 100 years||o) DNA|
|16) when something or someone is liked or supported by a lot of people||p) complain|
|17) take someone somewhere in your car||q) litter|
|18) a substance that carries genetic information in the cells of the body||r) cure|
Ex. 2. Match synonymous words and expressions.
|1) luggage||a) at once|
|2) fault||b) wonder|
|3) immediately||c) imagine|
|4) annoy||d) piece|
|5) dream (of)||e) definite|
|6) item||f) baggage|
|7) disease||g) have no money|
|8) certain||h) defect|
|9) miracle||i) illness|
|10) be broke||j) irritate|
Ex. 3. Match antonymous words.
|1. truth||a) uncertain|
|2. legal||b) unsuccessful|
|3. certain||c) hopeful|
|4. climb||d) lie|
|5. hopeless||e) unpublished|
|6. unique||f) descend|
|7. published||g) often|
|8. successful||h) illegal|
|9. rarely||i) common|
Ex. 4. Complete the charts below. Mind some spelling changes.
|1. discover 2. invent 3. ---- 4. operate 5. ----||---- ---- complaint ---- development||1. hope 2. ---- 3. ---- 4. guilt 5. ----||---- popular true ---- electric|
Ex. 5. Complete the sentences with one of the words from Ex. 4.
1. Oil was … in Saudi Arabia in 1938.
2. I had an … on my knee last year.
3. The … of the computer has revolutionized the business world.
4. The Internet has … at a remarkable rate.
5. If you have a … you should write to the manager.
6. Her books achieved tremendous … on both sides of the Atlantic.
7. Both men were found … of illegally entering the country.
8. You risk having your … cut off if you fail to pay the bill.
9. We may never know the … about what really happened to Marilyn Monroe.
10. It’s … to try to persuade him while he’s in this mood. Let’s talk to him tomorrow.
11. Among the … of the late nineteenth century were several new chemical elements, including radium.
Дата добавления: 2015-07-10; просмотров: 193 | Нарушение авторских прав
|<== предыдущая страница|||||следующая страница ==>|
|B. Use a verb from the box in the correct form to complete each collocation.|||||Ex. 1. Find the words from column B to match their description in column A.|